Sunday, March 25, 2007

First Day of School [Sixth Grade]

It was the first day of school and I was slightly late. Why did my mom have to stay after my sister’s bell rang to take a picture through the window? I was scared. When I saw everyone in my class was sitting quietly at a desk, I got even more panicky. My teacher, Miss Wong, just told me to find a seat. I slowly shuffled toward a vacant seat.

Miss Wong explained our schedules and her expectations. She told us that usually we would have her for first and second periods. If we were in pre-algrebra, we would also have her for fifth period. For the first two days, we would have her first through fifth periods. She wanted us to get to know our core teachers better. Then she told us some of her pet peeves. Next, we played some get to know each other games. At this point we began to get to know our teacher and our classmates better.

Next, we had brunch. Everyone was excited and chatting with friends that they hadn’t seen all summer. By now, the butterflies in my stomach had disappeared. To my surprise, I had already made a kind friend, Carol. I was getting comfortable with my new school.

After recess, our class joined the rest of the sixth grade. We shyly sang "Happy Birthday" to one of the teachers. I got the feeling I was not the only person feeling nervous on the first day of school. Next, Miss Walker’s, Mr. Phillips’ and our classes played some teamwork games on the itchy grass. After playing with the other classes, we set out for lunch.

Actually, I have a confession to make. I did have a concern at lunch and brunch. Before lunch, I thought that I was the only one in the whole school wearing a dress. When I saw others wearing skirts and dresses, I calmed down. I guess I’m not so strange.

I finished the day with P.E. and wood. Both classes were filled with explanations. Mr. Middleton explained the P.E. rules and told us what sports teams Cupertino Middle School has. Mr. Green started to explain the many safety rules of the wood shop. Little did I know then that this was just the beginning. We would spend over a week learning and being tested on the rules of the wood shop. After P.E. and wood, my brain was full of rules and I was ready to go home.

As I went home, I decided middle school is going to be okay. Some of the eighth graders were a bit weird in the way they approached the sixth graders, but at least they made me feel welcome. After just one day, I already felt like part of Cupertino Middle School.

[I love this paper because here I balence the need to be descriptive and the control to not go way over the top. The harmany is almost perfect, and thus it is nearly identical to the balence I use now. There are very few things I would change writing it now. Of corse, if I were turning it in to a professor, I would add a lot of big words that are absent in this document, but from here on out, improvement has mainly been fine tuning.]

No comments: